Saturday, July 14, 2012

New (old!) Pfaff

Since I am the “crafter” of the family, I seen to get all the old stuff from everyone else’s craft room. Sometimes that means rickrack, fabric, and old patterns (all awesome). Other times that means old yarn, bent pins, and dried out Puff Paint (not awesome). Yesterday I scored big in the awesome category. First, a little history. Back in 2009, I was gifted with this Necchi Bu Mira. I thought, “cool” but wondered if it even worked. Well, she works and she has become my go-to machine for all things thick, thin, delicate, or slippery. I sew everything with it. I rarely use my 1990’s era Husqvarna Viking Madison machine. I use them both when I am topstitching a lot of stuff and sometimes use the Madison for invisible zippers but that’s about all. So my “cool” turned into a “I don’t know how I lived without this machine.” This machine is a 1950’s era machine and I just can’t tell you how much better it is than most new machines.
necchi_2

 

Skip forward a few years and look what I was gifted yesterday.
pfaff230
This is the old sewing machine of my fiancé's grandmother. It’s the same era but in a bit rougher shape. She used this to make wedding dresses and clothing. It’s well used but I’m hoping it’s made of the same character of the Necchi. I believe it’s also of the 1950’s era although I’m not sure. It’s a Pfaff 230 and I really don’t know much about it. It’s in it’s original cabinet too. This baby will have a nice home in my sewing room. Hell, I may even get rid of my Madison because I hardly use it now. Anyone know much about them? I did find a URL on the Pfaff website that has the manual free to print. I’ll print that off. It seems to have some decorative stitch capabilities and it was zigzag as well as straight stitch.

I took it to my local sewing machine restoration place and they will have it back to me in a week or so. I’m excited. Like so I excited I could do a little happy dance while screeching at the same time.

8 comments:

PoldaPop said...

Oo, I'm excited to find out what you think.  I have a circa 1970 Pfaff (1222se) that I inherited from my husband's grandmother.  It's the only sewing machine I've ever owned.  When I use someone's modern machine I feel like I will break the thing at any moment because they seem so flimsy in comparison.  I think I could drop my Pfaff off the roof and it wouldn't break, although I don't know how I'd ever get it there as I can only lug it about 10 feet before needing to sit on it and rest.

Eileen Maylone said...

As a Pfaff lover myself, I am interested to hear what you think of it!

Kat Campbell said...

Wow! I'm fascinated by these older sewing machines - I've never come across any in Australia or New Zealand. I don't know why, plenty of people sewed their own clothes... maybe they are still hanging onto these treasures?

CBB said...

I wish I was that lucky!!! :) This is the machine that I learn to sew. My Mom bought one in 1959. I used it until I move to North America. I love this machine. Congrats!!!

theperfectnose said...

OMG that's cool. This is the thing that has two shoe making elves inside that come out at night and leave you new shoes for the next day yea?

Ripple Dandelion said...

Love how great sewing machines seem to find you. The 230 is considered a wonderful model. I thought my Necchi BU was the greatest machine ever until I got a Pfaff 130 in an industrial table a few months ago. How do I like it? Well, the Necchi is now living in a happy new home! There is a Vintage Pfaff Yahoo group that is very helpful.

Atrinka said...

Wow Lucky you!!!! Have fun with your new toy!

Anne Lindholt Ottosen said...

It's a great machine, congrats! I have a Pfaff 332. Look at Yahoo Groups at Old Pfaff Pforum - a lot of useful files and discussions.