It’s a really fun to wear party dress. Or summer dress. I really like it. Okay, the details. Siiiighhhhh. You people. It’s a dress for a woven pattern, but I used an ITY knit I bought at, wait for it, the National City Swap Meet. Don’t you love this fabric? It’s ombre and colors that I love. And I made a dress with a mullet. (And an open-back!)
The pattern calls fro bust darts, but I didn’t put them in this knit. I just stretched the front bodice to fit the back. Darts in a thin knit often do not work out and I didn’t want some wavy-ass dart in my pretty dress. I love that there are hearts all over the dress.
There is elastic in the waist and you make a self-casing with the seam allowances. In the woven version, you have a bodice lining and you sew a casing line to form a casing. For me, since I wasn’t lining it, I just made slightly larger seam allowances and then topstitched those to form the facing. (Apparently I like the back opening because I took a lot of pictures of it.)
The directions are wrong here so I thought I would help you guys with color coding. They tell you to insert the red elastic and then sew it together. WRONG. They mean to tell you to baste it to the seam allowances. Then you sew the bodice to the skirt which locks in the red elastic. Then, you sew the casing, insert the yellow elastic through one of the buttonholes (alllllll the way around the front), and then pull it out the other button hole. Then you sew small ties to the ends of the elastic. Ta-da!!!!
I’m going to work on my Burda Challenge item next and it’s a doozie!