Saturday, May 3, 2014

Burda 6919 - Knit Dress (1-hour!)

I don’t often buy envelope pattern, but Burda was on sale at JoAnn’s and I thought the little black number on the right was cute. Hopefully this wasn’t in a recent magazine. I don’t remember seeing it, if it was!
burda_6919_9

 

Look pretty easy, right?
6919-M

 

It’s totally easy. I didn’t have to trace this out or add seam allowances. That made it super fast. It’s only four pieces too. I rather like the way it looks too. Not too shabby for an hour’s worth of work.
burda_6919_1

 

I think the arm cutouts are super cute too.
burda_6919_4

 

I made my own belt out of self-fabric. Where is this fabric from? None other than my favorite Swap Meet in National City.
burda_6919_5

 

This is without any belt. Meh. It definitely needs something. I had a hard time making the pleats in this slippery fabric. Here, the pleats just kind of look like a hot mess.
burda_6919_3

 

This is with a purchased belt, but it gives you an idea of what it might look like with something else. It needs a much short belt because it is truly at waist level. Most of my belts fit me at hip level. I love the purple color of this dress.
burda_6919_2

 

The arm slits are super easy to do. I used a strip of fusible web to told the “hem” in place while I coverstitched it.
burda_6919_6

 

When I make this again (and yes I will), I’ll do a better top with the pleats and the waistband treatment. This is one of those that you sew the tops and bottom together at the waist and then sew them together with elastic. The elastic makes the waist cinch in. I’ve never had luck with this kind of waist treatment. I think it’s fine here because you can’t see it anyway with the belt I made. Next time, maybe a casing for the elastic?
burda_6919_7

 

See? Not pretty.
burda_6919_8

2 comments:

Antigone said...

it's totally amazing!

Debbie Iles said...

Oh wow! That's a stunning dress. For such a simple style, you really need to get the fit and fabric spot on and you have done both. Wow again!