Friday, November 14, 2014

Sewing Bee Round 2 - Burda 02-2011 #116

Our challenge was to use Men’s button-down shirts to create a garment. Lining could be made out of non-men’s-shirt materials. We could use up to five men’s shirts.

 

I used these three men’s button-down shirts . . .
b_0211_116_12

 

plus this pattern to make  . . .
b_0211_116_20

 

my second entry for the Patternreview.com Sewing Bee. (First let’s talk about the difference in natural light and inside light. Wow. The real color is definitely between this grape-y purple and the pinky-pink.)
b_0211_116_22

 

I was lucky enough to find some coordinating men’s shirts at my local Value Village. The print shirt was only a medium, but I loved the print. The other two shirts were XXLs. After washing them all, I cut all the pieces and parts apart. This left me with two large pieces of the solid purple and several small pieces of the print. I’m really only going to talk about those two shirts, because I barely used the third one. The print fabric obviously went for the yokes and the hem band. The second shirt makes up the main front and back of the dress. I liked the pocket placement so I left it. It originally had black buttons which really clashed with my brass grommets.
b_0211_116_23

 

I really like how it ended up.
b_0211_116_24

 

I think the pleats at the shoulder are a cute detail.
b_0211_116_25

 

Wow, this color difference is just amazing. I had to utilize inside lights for the detail pictures because the sun is going down at 4:26pm, people. That’s barely enough time to get home, change, set up the camera, and go! Here you can see the third fabric I used for the inside yoke lining, it’s a brighter pink.
b_0211_116_11

 

One of my favorite tools. A snap setter that also does grommets.
b_0211_116_14
b_0211_116_15b_0211_116_16

 

Close-up of the buttons and grommets. I had exactly seven buttons in my stash and it’s exactly what I needed. It was meant to be!
b_0211_116_17

 

Here’s that third pink fabric again. I used a non-fray knit for the inside drawstring casing. You can also see I used a thick hem facing for the hem. It was going to be really short if I just turned up the hem the regular way.
b_0211_116_18

 

I’m hoping to make it to Round 3, but we shall see. They will let us know on Tuesday the 18th. Eek!

16 comments:

Lyndle said...

Wow! Great dress. That is clever. And that photo colour difference is amazing.

Stephanie said...

That's so clever! Great color coordination and such a pretty product.

Camelia de Bruin said...

Wow, what a great dress, so clever made! Good luck with the Bee, with this beauty I think you need to make yourself ready for round 3 ! :)

Carolyn Norman said...

Dawn - this is beautiful! You did an amazing job with this challenge! Good luck and I hope you make it to the next round!

Teri said...

Cute, cute, cute. Good luck!

Jennifer Churchill said...

Wow! I love it :)

Kathy Sews said...

Oooh! This is awesome. Yeah, you're on to the next round :)

Becky said...

Very creative, Dawn! You did a great job. I believe it is on to Round 3.

Linda L said...

Great looking dress! You did an excellent job with refashioning the men's shirts.

kathyh said...

Stinkin' cute. Love the different print/solid combo.

Velosewer said...

I hope you make it through to round 3 too.

Kyleigh Perkins said...

Totally adorable! You used the print spectacularly! Who would have thought men's shirts could be so cute?

Carolyn Norman said...

Congrats on making it to the next round!

Gabrielle Corbett said...

It looks terrific - I would not have thought this was a shirt refashion, it looks so much like a conscious choice of coordinating fabrics! I assume you got into the next round?

Carey said...

What kind of a snap setter is this? I'm looking at getting one and am researching the options right now. Love your blog!

Da99516 said...

I bought the one here: http://thesnapstore.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/28