Thursday, May 14, 2015

Burda 05-2015 #101 Ruffle Coat Update

I figured you guys would want an update on The Coat. The tweed is beautiful, but not sturdy enough for all this detail. I went ahead and interfaced the entire thing. SO. MUCH. INTERFACING. Wow. I spent one whole night cutting, one whole night interfacing, and one whole night wrestling with the ruffle. It’s been slow, but fun, going.
b_0515_101_1

 

I found the perfect silky print for the lining.
b_0515_101_2

 

It turns out you do need the full 3 5/8 yards to make this coat. I had originally bought three yards when I first saw this coat. Now, I’m just waiting on the rest of the fabric to come from Mood. I have completed the lining (I did that first) and done the top of the coat. I still need to do a bunch of clipping, grading, and understitching on the collar. In this picture, things are not lined up where they should be.
b_0515_101_3

 

Look at that collar. I can’t help thinking that this is going to be amazing, or clownish. I hope I find it amazing when I’m all done. It’s definitely going to be a statement piece.
b_0515_101_4

 

You can tell here that it’s pulling in all kinds of crazy ways. I really need to clip, grade, and understitch. The weight of the immense collar is pulling the facing and lining out of the coat from the neck. I still need to figure out the shoulder pads.
b_0515_101_5

 

I’m totally copying Burda’s coat. Hopefully mine turns out as well.
baby_blue_2

4 comments:

Camelia de Bruin said...

This looks great! How did you interface the collar ? Did you go for the organza or the fusible? Can`t wait to see it finished :)

Paulinakoss Bruce said...

It looks great already Dawn! It looks like something I will find at Anthropologie! Can't wait to see it!

kristin at sunnysewing said...

It looks great so far!

Allison C said...

Looking great, and yes it is a dead ringer for the Burda one. Tempted to make this one myself when winter comes round again....