Tuesday, May 10, 2011

BurdaStyle 02-2011-107A – High Waisted Skirt

I’ve loved this skirt in the February BurdaStyle since I first saw it. I have a little of this silk/wool woven (from one of my favorite dresses ever!) and this used up almost all of it. The only thing left is small scraps of fabric.

 

Here’s the pattern.
skirt_8

 

 

Here’s the inside and outside. I haven’t pressed my darts yet because I want to make sure they are where they are supposed to be. I used Whisper Weft on the back of this woven because it likes to stretch out on the bias quite a bit. The pattern calls for using a self-fabric facing but I’m going to skip that and just line it from the top. This is also thick fabric and I don’t want that extra bulk.
 skirt_6 skirt_9

 

Here’s a bad picture of it on me. I like where it hits on the navel. This is with my running gear on. I came back from my run this morning and headed to the sewing room.
skirt_7  

 

I’m a little concerned about the top of this skirt stretching over time. I’m going to use this Threads trick to reinforce the waistband and make it more comfortable. Basically, I’m adding a strip of elastic inside the skirt to make it tight around the top. I’ll let you know how it goes. I should be able to put the zipper in tomorrow or Thursday and the elastic band after that.
skirt_10

 

ETA: Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I just figured out that there is no one hosting my photos anymore. Awesome. My ex-husband must have never forwarded me my subscription notice to renew (I know, not his problem, I should have remembered to renew on my own). So you can’t see my pretty dress but I’ll start trying to fix that slowly and surely. Drat. That’s gonna be a lot of work. I need to migrate those photos to another photo album and then link all the photos again. Anyone know of an easy way to do that for three year’s worth of photos????

9 comments:

Anne L said...

Contact the host and ask if they have deleted it yet? They probably haven't.

Sewingelle said...

That is going to be a great skirt! It even looks good over running gear..

That Threads tip to reinforce the waistband with elastic sounds like a great idea. I look forward to hearing how it works.

Good luck with the photo hosting

Summer Flies said...

Dawn, I don't even know what that means about your photos so I am no help!

I think this skirt style suits your beautiful figure - made for you! It will look great.

I love reading your old posts and I learn heaps by looking at what you've done so I hope you can get this IT problem sorted and easily. IT is such a pain if you are not into it!

Corrine said...

Nice skirt that will look great on you. I tend to fully underline such fabrics because of stretch and wear. I haven't made a high waisted skirt for some time (waist is gone, sadly) but I fused a support interfacing along the top edge of the front piece. I cut it 1/2 inch wide and followed all the design lines. This was prior to the underlining. Hope you can resolve your IT issue. Good luck.

Rachelle said...

Definitely email your picture host and ask if you still have time to renew before your pictures disappear. Most hosts just "park" your account for 3 to 6 months after your subscription expires, so if you email them, there's a good chance they can just turn your account back on once you've paid.

Lovely skirt!

marysews said...

I host my pictures at picasa web, which I can access easily via my gmail account.

Tee said...

What's picture hosting?

Cissie said...

Love the skirt. I made it myself earlier in the week and wore it all day with no stretching in the top. Since mine was out of a stretch denim, I didn't line it but used the facings only which I interfaced.

twiningblair said...

I've used the clear elastic sewn right at the seam to keep from stretching.