Sunday, January 13, 2013

Burda 10/2012 #118 - Cowl-neck Dress

b_1012_118_8b_1012_118_9

 

I’ve loved this dress since I first saw the pattern a few months ago. Several people have made this dress and that made me love it all the more. I made my version out of a gray wool suiting. It’s divine fabric. It has some body but is soft and drapey at the same time. I made a size 34 and it’s about a perfect fit. I had to take it in in the waist a titch but overall the fit is unaltered. 

 


(edited to add a better picture. This is how I wore it the other day at school when there was actually light! Light helps when you are taking pictures.
b_1012_118_1b_1012_118_1b_1012_118_2

 

This is a more fitted dress than I had imagined.
b_1012_118_3

 

You can see in this picture that the cowl sticks out a little. I made put a stitch or two in the cowl to “help” it hang better. I did what most other people did and changed the cutting layout so the cowl was on the bias and the skirt was on the straight grain.
b_1012_118_4

 

Overall, I’m very happy with it. It’s a great work dress; basic and classy. This photo is obviously lightened so you can see the details.
b_1012_118_5

 

I love these shoes.
b_1012_118_6

 

I didn’t  line it *gasp* and it’s wool. Personally, I love the warm feel of wool against my skin. Linings make me cold. Instead I pinked all the seams and used hem tape on the sleeves and skirt hem. I hand stitched the hem up using a cross stitch.
b_1012_118_7

This was a super easy dress to make. I started by tracing it out Friday morning and put the finishing hand stitches on this morning. I think it only took me a couple of hours.

11 comments:

sandysewin said...

Nice dress! You look great.


I just read somewhere (think it was a Threads magazine) that they stitched a small weight inside the cowl to keep it in place.

Andrea Peart said...

That dress looks amazing on you and it's on my list to make as well in a red and black checker print. Love the shoes.

Judith said...

This dress is a brilliant fit on you - such a beautiful style made out of the wool. And you whipped it up so quickly...well done...J

Elizabeth Larsen said...

The dress looks fabulous on you!

House of Pinheiro said...

Such pretty dress x

Linda L said...

Lovely dress and I too love your shoes.

Clio said...

So classy and elegant on you! I have to confess that this is the first version of this dress that's made me want to sew it.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! Love the shoes, too, you skinny thing!

marysews said...

The dress looks good on you!

sherril said...

I don't know what I like more, the dress, your cute figure, or those shoes. Together you have a winning outfit. Oh yea, I also love your longer hair.

Darsana said...

Beautiful work! But, how do you get away wearing it without tights in Alaska in the middle of winter?!