Saturday, February 28, 2009

Burda 02-2009 #123 Wrap Blouse

ETA: I fixed the title of this post which said 01/2009, oops! And I also included the link to the full review at the bottom of this post.

Here's my newest top. It's from 02/2009 #123. This is some of the fabric my husband bought me the last time he went to Texas. Guess where he left to go this morning??? More fabric for me! He picks good stuff too so I'm lucky. So this is a true wrap top where you have the slit in the side and the ties go around your body. It took me a minute to figure out the ties went around your back first and then tied at the front. Duh.


The front piece has a built in cowl (I'm sure there is a better term for this) that you fold over. They have you sew the shoulder seam first and then hand stitch the folded part to the seam. I just included the folded part in the seam. You finish the back neck with the piece of topstitched binding. You can see it if you know what to look for.



It looks pointy on the shoulders but I think that is mostly from where the fabric design stops. Sewing the bottom hem gave me fits with this gauze-y fabric and I finally settled on a mild lettuce edge. I like the effect in the back.


Inside slit.



Another front view. I really like the asymmetrical front pieces. Oh, and I changed the arms. The original ones go all the way to the wrist and have a damn, freaking, stupid sleeve placket and slit. I, *cough*, can never do those very well and I didn't have enough fabric to make full length sleeves so I left them off. Instead, I cut it to 3/4 length and made elastic casings.



It's a wild print but I love it. And no, my hair isn't cut but I may cut it like this so I wanted to see how it looks in a photo. I always see things a bit differently in a photograph of myself. Full review will be posted tomorrow on PatternReview.com.

22 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Very cute! This is on my never-ending to-do list, but I didn't like those sleeve ties. I think I'll copy your elastic casing idea instead. Thanks!

Paulette said...

Love the fabric.....the style looks wonderful on you...

Claudine said...

That looks great! Very edgy and cool.

Anonymous said...

Love the wrap top. The print is amazing; your husband has great taste. He's a keeper!

Gorgeous Things said...

That is so cute! I love that fabric.
You know who has some great tutorials, including one on sleeve plackets, is Pam Erny at Off the Cuff Style. I refer to hers all the time.

Lynn said...

Very cute. I like your choice of fabric too. It's feminine, but has style. Thank your for the camera info. Mine goes to 2 megapixals. I've been exploring the photo programs, but may wait until next year.

Anonymous said...

Really cute. Great choice for this fabric!

Mardel said...

Wow that is so cute. You know, the pattern didn't thrill me initially but now I have changed my mind.

Anonymous said...

Love this shirt. After reading your blog for a bit I think I've decided to dive into the world of BWOF. I have a question though, what do you use to trace out your patterns? Do you buy special pattern paper or something else?

Pam Erny said...

Wow...that is so chic ! Super fabric too!

...am I the only one not subbing to BWOF....?????

Pam ~Off The Cuff~

Reethi said...

Dawn, this looks great! I honestly didn't give it a second look in the magazine, but I love your version!

mitch1066 said...

wow that is lovely!Perfect use of the print.I must admit prints tend to scare me.

Sigrid said...

Very good, love the style and the fabric on you. It's one of the styles I love in this issue.

Meg said...

Looks like a cami is a must with this top, right? I think this is #3 in my sew to-do list. Cute!

Vicki said...

thats lovely! What a nice husband :)

Bridget Wang said...

Your husband truly has a good eye for fabric. Love this top!

AllisonC said...

This looks really good on you and your sleeve treatment is a brilliant idea. The fabric is fabulous, your husband did a good job!

Anonymous said...

Wow! The way the fabric print swirls across your shoulders in back is amazing!!

SherryV

Anonymous said...

That looks great! I will definitely have to mark that one when I eventually get my copy!! Over here we run about 2 months behind with BWOF so I have just received Jan 09! I keep reading on blogs about the Feb 09 issue and can't wait for it!!

Hair looks good too :-)

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

I was totally not into this in the magazine, but now I see it has real potential!

Anonymous said...

I love this and I love your alterations! Funny, gauze isn't something I've ever sewn before, hmm...

Cennetta said...

Cute top. This is an interesting style that I loved for years. It looks good on you and your husband has great taste in fabric.