Friday, July 31, 2009

Crushed Velvet Dress

This is Burda 08-2009 #113. I love the fabric they used on this dress. I have some poly/lycra stretch velour and decided to try my hand at crushing it myself. The design is pretty simple. I didn't want to just use plain velour because I thought it would be too boring.



I took a scrap of purple velour and roughly pleated it with my fingers. I turned the iron to Linen, it's hottest setting, and pressed the pleats. I was a little worried about meltage but it was fine. I got this idea from a Threads video I watched a quite a while ago about crushing silk/rayon velvet. This purple velour has been crushed several times. Then I washed it and dried it. I figured if I went to all this trouble to crush it, I didn't want it coming out in the wash.



I don't have enough of the purple so I'll be using this printed velour below. I think the print and texture will work well for this dress.




I'm going to go trace it out. It's one of the rare patterns that comes in a size 34 so I don't have to grade it down. Yay!

7 comments:

kiltsnquilts said...

I love that paisley velour! What a great idea to texturise it, I think the combination will look fantastic!

Bunny said...

So is it holding its wrinkles now that it has been washed and dried?

I wash all my velvet, the regular rayon/acetate kind in the washer and dryer. It gives it a gorgeous drapes and that antique look. It is much more forgiving to sew on too.

Amy said...

Wonderful! I love that dress. It hadn't occurred to me to crush velvet myself. The print version is going to be very pretty.

Amanda S. said...

You're a little crazy, aren't you? Can't wait to see the dress. This is one of those designs I thought I might get talked into making.

Unknown said...

Both fabrics are gorgeous, crushing it yourself is amazing. I'm eager to see the final product, I know it will be great!

toya said...

its interesting that you decided to make this pattern I was looking at it and thought it would make a great basic dress to wear with a cardigan or jacket in the fall. I'm thinking a basic color like grey or tan panne velvet myself. Can't wait to see your version soon.

Rose said...

Well, we have another creative installment from Dawn! That dress sounds exciting. The two fabrics that you are using are gorgeous.