Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Burda 10-2008 #101 Plaid Wool Dress II

I finally finished this Burda coat. It's actually been done for quite a while but I wasn't around this computer so I couldn't post pics. I always have my iPhone but I find the picture quality isn't great and the formatting is always really bad. I really like it. I do not like this particular belt. I think I need something "harder" if you get my meaning. This belt is too flowy, loose, and just all wrong for this coat. I sort of feel like a lumberjack in his bathrobe sometimes but overall, I love it. I really, really, love the snaps. It took for-EVER to sew them on but it was totally worth it. I need a haircut.

I did the belt loops on the bias and lined them up with the stripes in the plaid. I really like how they turned out. Dang! I know I have a photo of the back but where did it go??!!?

Here are the fun snaps. They are big. I used Gutterman upholstery thread to sew them on.

Here's a close-up of the snaps. My handsewing has gotten so much better in the last year.

Next up? Another Jalie cardigan. It's all cut out and ready to go!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Really, really, really cute. Lumberjack? Um, no! And, yes... giant snaps = fun.

Unknown said...

Wow! Fantastic job. Love the styling and a great fabric choice. I'm not all that opposed to the belt, but maybe something more compatible with the size of the belt loops...nice job on those as well.

Lori said...

Great looking coat.

Mary Nanna said...

I love it - great job! And you matched the shoulders. verrrrrrrrry nice.

Nancy said...

Cute coat and great job matching on the plaid - especially the belt loops! I agree with you on the belt though - I think it needs something less "flowy".

Ann Made Studio said...

Your jacket looks wonderful, and certainly nothing like a
lumberjack :)

Pam said...

Cute cute cute - and yes I agree - show off that fantastic waist:) Love it!

Patty said...

I've been waiting to see this coat all finished....and it's really cute! Love the snaps. I agree, I think a more structured, wider belt would look great.

Bug Adventures said...

Very snappy! LOL I crack myself up :)

Rose said...

I like it! You did a great job with matching the plaids. I agree about the belt: you need something more substantial and that will help define your waist. I came across this blog entry tonight that might provide some ideas. I like the last belt best.

http://fashionpreserve.blogspot.com/2010/04/vintage-mysteries-solved-how-to-replace.html

Rose in SV

Cissie said...

Great coat/dress, Dawn. The snaps are perfect -- and really keep the cost of the outfit down, don't they!!! I'm with you on the belt. But I know that you'll find the perfect solution.
Cissie

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Those snaps are so great! And the belt loops are very clever. Great coat!

Adventures in Dressmaking said...

Very cute, LOVE the snaps!

Jenny said...

Very beautiful! I think the snaps are the perfect choice (one I wouldn't have even thought of!)

amber said...

What a great coat! I agree though, you need a strong, kick arse belt to go over it. Otherwise, I think it's perfect.