My first foray into leather was a big honking success (I think). I'm glad I did something simple with few seams and easy construction. I bought this red leather at a local beading place called Black Elk Beads and Leather. Alaska has a large population of Alaska Natives who do beadwork. This shop carries leathers, beads, thread, buckles, embellishments, and the like. They also have things like seal skin, sinew, leather crafting materials, and fur. This is not a place for the sensitive animal-lover.
Anyhoo, this is BWOF 06/09 #151. Cidell already did a review of this pattern using fabric. I have wanted to try leather for a while and thought this would be the perfect pattern for it. I did follow Cidell's advice and look closely at the length of the belt. Like her, I realized that the belt would be too long. I took a good 2" out of the center of the belt and 2" out of the angled "side" piece. That's a total of 8" because these pieces were either on the fold or doubled. I also reduced the length of the ties from 35" to 22". Those would be some loooong straps. I do think you need to be careful about how much you take off total. The front should wrap around to the sides and the "side pieces" should overlap at the back so you get that great overlap effect.
The back with the overlap is my favorite part. There is an opening in the side to allow the strap to come through. It's kinda like a wrap dress.
I really like the combination with this black dress. It's from BWOF 11/2008 I want to make a berry floral print dress and wear the red belt with that also.
Here's the side. You can see the opening in the seam to allow the strap to come through. You can tell I could have shortened it a tad more. I topstitched all the seams to help them lie flat. That and I like the look of the topstitching on the leather.
My leather sewing friends. I should have added the rolling leather foot I have. My friend gave me a Necchi machine a few months ago and it came with a leather rolling foot. I used Coats and Clark Heavy Duty thread. For the topstitching I pulled all the threads to the back and tied the thread off. For extra assurance, I used Fraycheck on the seams.