Sunday, June 29, 2008

Burda - 06-2008-105 Cap Sleeved Blouse

This is the same info as my review over at Patternreview.com. Can you tell my husband is gone and the kids are at the Grandparents' house? Thank goodness they live close to us! Having a break every once and a while is priceless.




Pattern Description: This little blouse boasts this season's trends: polka dots, a slim silhouette, cap sleeves and a thin, self-fabric belt. We have added an illustrated sewing course for sewing success!
Pattern Sizing:This one goes from 38-46. I graded it down to a 36 but perhaps should have gone to a 34?
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Well, it does look like the line drawing. Both fashion photos in the magazine make it hard to see the details. Were the instructions easy to follow?This is the sewing course for the month of June so it was nice to follow along with pictures for once. I followed these directions for the collar and I do think it is the best collar I have ever made. Make sure you follow the seam allowance directions because the SA on the side of the blouse are 3/4" while everything else is 5/8". You need that extra space for the fold-over hem at the sleeve openings.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I really like the cut of this garment. It is longer than I thought it would be so that kind of suprised me. I would give it a 7 on the "Like-It" rating (10 would be high) because I do like it but I don't know if I'll make it again. Dislikes, the gathering at the side makes it kind of bulky there but you can't really cut it off because you need the extra seam allowance for the sleeve. I may end up serging part of it to reduce the bulk.
Fabric Used: This is the leftover fabric from this dress. It is a drapey, thin suiting fabric from JoAnn's. I had so little left over fron the dress that I had to get creative with pattern piece placement. The yoke was cut in two pieces (with SA added to CB) because I didn't have enough fabric to make it in one piece. I used buttons for the first time and they are fun, fun, fun! I used size 16 black pearl buttons.
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: Let's see, I didn't do my normal 1/2" tuck between bust and shoulders. I would like to tell you that I analyzed this style and realized I did not need it but in all actually, I forgot. But really, I'm not sure if I would have noticed any difference if I had done it. The only thing I changed was to cut my wrap around band piece at 1" wide. They have you cut it 1 5/8" but I cut it smaller so I could use my Clover bias tape maker. I love that little thing.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I do recommend it to others. It is very easy to sew. I like it but am not in love with it. I think it will get plenty of wear because it is a good color combination and a nice style.
Conclusion: It's cute and easy. It's a great warm weather top. We haven't had many warm-weather days this summer so I may have to wait until I'm working again to wear it.

6 comments:

Paula Gardner said...

Dawn, this is super cute. I like the way it fits you.

Rhoto said...

Hi Dawn! Can you wear your new blouse as a jacket over your dress?
Rhonda in Montreal (PR)

Lori said...

Very cute, Dawn. Enjoy your day of piece and quiet and sewing.

Christina said...

What a great blouse. I am loving everyone's version of this, especially yours.

Cennetta said...

I echo Christina. A lot of sewists are producing adorable versions of this blouse. Very cute. I'll probably make this up too.

Melissa said...

Super cute top!