Friday, June 27, 2008

Four Year Olds Talk a Lot . . .

And yesterday while my son was rambling to me I accidently cut the seam allowances off the back of my new Burda WOF pants!!!!! All is not lost however; I was making them in stretch twill. It seems the twill had barely enough stretch to accomodate for no seam allowances. Actually, I didn't cut the entire SA off, just the top 3-4 inches. You would be proud, I didn't even cuss.

I am currently working on Burda 06/125. It is the pants with the tab belt (?) and the pleat in the thigh. This is my first BWOF pant so I was very interested to see how it would fit. They fit really well but they would have fit better if I had a SA to work with. I knew I would have to do a small swayback adjustment, I just ended up making a big adjustment.


This is the picture that sold me on the pants. They look kind of slim through the knee area right? Yeah, not really, these must be pinned because these really have big ol' legs. I should have looked closer at the line drawing.



So here's the question: Do I take out inches of fabric between mid-thigh and calf?? I think the wide leg makes me look a bit squat. Of course, it could also be the 6" of extra fabric at the hem. I am wearing heels and I'm 5'5". I'm not that short. I have not understitched the facing so it is a bit lumpy.


You can see that it looks like I have large front thighs. It is just the pleat sticking out. You can tell the upper butt/lower back region is little snug.


Also, I need BIG TIME help with the inside. I realized as I was putting on the facing that I have never made pants with a fly without a waistband. How do you finish the inside nicely? Is there a tutorial or a post on that? I will add a fly facing to the inside but didn't want to deal with it yet. It might help me make a smooth transistion from the fly to the pants. I tried reading BWOF instructions but it was a bit like Greek.







Well, what do you guys think? Keep the width or remove it? I know that wide leg pants are coming in (or are they gone already?) but these seem excessive.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dawn, Take out that ease it is so unflattering to your cute shape.
fly-front w/ no waistband--sew on the facing, understitch SAs to facing. Turn facing out RS to the RS of the pants to finish the edge then flip back so WSs are tog. I hope this makes sense. I do my hip-hanging skirts this way. One of these days I take photos of what I do.

Dawn said...

Lindanan- I'm still missing something. Do you do this before you attach the zipper? Please say no, please I don't want to do that again. If you look at one of those bottom pictures, it shows what you recommend (without the understitching). If I finish the edge of the facing and put it back WS to WS, it will block the zipper.

Dawn said...

I think I found the answer to my question!

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/review/readreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=1790

Kay Y wrote a great tip on PR; now I just have to figure out how to do it with my pants. Oh and I think I will remove the pockets and re-sew them using a non-bulky material on the back. As it is, they create giant wings on my hips.

lsaspacey said...

I agree with redoing the pockets but I think the width is right. Don't take them in, right now it's just the extra hem playing tricks with you. Once you hem them, they will fall the way they should. I think they look great!

I didn't go to the link, but I just slip stitch the edge of the facing to the zipper tape.

Melissa said...

I like the new version much better. You have such a great figure that the first pair wear you instead of you wearing them. Gotta start somewhere tho.