Monday, February 27, 2012

Burda 12-2008 #127B Bathrobe

I told you guys I had been doing some sewing. I’ve been needing a house robe for quite a while. You know, when kids get up in the middle of the night, when you have house guests, when you cook breakfast in a house with no blinds, it’s probably better to not run around in your skivvies.

This is from Burda December 2008. I made the longer version B. It’s a super easy pattern with only two pieces; five pieces if you count the two belt loops and the belt. I made it out of a  piece of toasty wool. I bought this roll end of of Patagonia a few years back. I also made a Jalie top (I’m working on the picture links) out of this fabric. It’s toasty warm. One side is wool and the other side is a poly-blend. I put the wool on the inside so I’d always be warm.

robe

I decided to use a Hong Kong finish to the seams on the insides because I didn’t want to line it and I didn’t want to see the serging. I like how it peeks out on the robe and the sleeves.
bwof_1208_127_4bwof_1208_127_1

 

I didn’t add a facing to the lapels because I like the raw edge of the fabric. I did go around and staystitch the entire robe so it would never fray. You can barely see it from the inside (grey striped side) and not at all from the brown side.
bwof_1208_127_3

 

I did a raw edge for the belt loops and the belt.
bwof_1208_127_2

3 comments:

Jodie said...

It looks lovely and warm. I could use a new housecoat (and as it's winter in Alberta, warm would work) but I need it to be bleachable as I frequently manage to dip my sleeve in my coffe somehow...
Good to see you posting again

Unknown said...

The Hong Kong finish was a great idea, adds a fun colour pop!

Anonymous said...

I too love the Hong Kong finish!
I have to tell you, you are my ALL TIME FAVORITE blog! Your writing and pics and projects are just wonderful ! I always smile when I see you have a new post because I enjoy you so much. Thank you for sharing!

Kip Stitches