Sunday, May 6, 2012

Simplicity 2404–Sheath Dress

I think I started liking this dress because of the color. I was lukewarm about the v-neck opening but something really kept bugging me about the dress. I finally made it up and I’m really glad I did. It’s great!! Here’s the boring photo of the model.

s_2404_4

 

I made it up in a purple wool crepe. I know, wool. Really, Dawn? It’s May, you say? Well, it’s been cold at night so wool is still appropriate. See that patch of white through the railing by my knee? That, ladies, is snow. It’s been around 30 degrees in the morning and about 50 degrees during the “hottest” part of the day. I ask you, is wool not okay? But, I digress. Is this not a fun dress? The original dress only had two open darts but because I don’t read directions, I am infinitely creative, I have a design feature. The front skirt has a front seam in the CF of the dress. Instead of doing that, I put in on the fold and cut it that way. Well, I forgot about the seam allowance so I had to create another open dart to take up that space. I love how the waist and bodice fit.
s_2404_2

 

Here’s pumpkin #4. She wanted to take pictures with Momma too. She’s such a diva.
s_2404_3

 

My own addition was this really long exposed zipper. I’m not sure if I love it. But the dress is a win and I’ll make it again. I think the zipper is fun. What shoes would you guys wear with this dress? I’m not sure I like these shoes with it. The zipper is brass and a light gray. I used the directions in this Thread article to help me with the zipper. My zipper is from ZipperStop.
s_2404_1

 

Next up, I’m working on a knock-off CAbi skirt.

18 comments:

sandysewin said...

Love the dress! I would have completely passed it by in the pattern catalog, but it came out great.

Not so sure about the exposed zipper, perhaps I'm not trendy enough, lol.

Jessim said...

This is fabulous. It looks great on you.

I don't really "get" exposed zippers, but yours is well executed.

molly said...

Woo, that looks really good! I like the exposed zipper with the bright solid purple.

Unknown said...

You look absolutely fantastic! Great colorand AMAZING silhouette! And your hair... I've never seen it so long! Life is treating you well!!!

Little Hunting Creek said...

Great dress-would red shoes be too wild? My 27 yr old daughter wears red shoes with a purple dress and they look cute

Lori said...

Amazing dress, the fit is perfect. The exposed zipper looks fun, you did a great job on the entire dress.

Kristin said...

Fantastic fit! I love the colour. And yes, wool is appropriate. I live near Edmonton, and I know all about temperamental weather. :)

Summer Flies said...

I love the dress and the zip looks good. I like the idea of the red shoes (I like red and purple together) and I also think grey shoes to match your zip would look good too.

Digs said...

Super cute. The upper back, what peeks out from behind your hair, looks intriguing - not the usual run of the mill rounded armscye, is it?

sewbluetiful said...

Love the dress, great color.. even the 3rd dart,, don't care much for the zipper,, sorry,, love, love, love, your hair,, plus your little diva is totally cute.....

Lisa said...

I love the dress the colour and the fit are fantastic. I like all the changes you made. I'm on the fence about the zip I like them I think but part of me thinks will they be out of fashion soon. Grey or red shoes would look gorgeous. Like a few others said your hair is fantastic as is little pumpkin.

Sassy said...

Love the dress. I do like the idea of the exposed zipper but I tend to see them darker than the fabric. I think for the dark purple I personally would have gone for black. Be a boring old world if we all had the same tastes, just thought I would give you my honest opinion lol. Love your creations.

gwensews said...

That color is fabulous on you. It's a pretty dress and a perfect fit.

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

Looks fantastic, I have this pattern and now I see the possibilities. Great dress and color.

Anonymous said...

I love this dress on you, perfect fit and what a gorgeous color! But the zipper.. honestly though well executed it just looks all wrong in this dress. I would replace it with an invisible one if I were you :)

Raquel from J.C. said...

I love the dress but I don't like the exposed zipper. It looks out of place.

Cissie said...

Can't believe that your fantastic dress is related to that very "blah" picture! Great fit. Love the purple -- and definitely would go for red shoes with it!

Anonymous said...

NICE! This pattern is sitting on the top of my to do pile, I really want to spend time and effort fitting it as it's going to be my go -to pattern (as a base) for about three different things I've got planned (one of which is the Mrs Fox dress from the Wes Anderson movie) =D. Love your version, the colour really pops (bit ambivalent about the zipper-but you can carry it off so why not).