I made a few blingy dresses over the weekend. I used Jalies new raglan top pattern. Obviously I modified it a bit. Instead of just using it as a t-shirt pattern, I left the top and bottom pattern pieces separate and added some width to the bottom piece. All I did then was just gather the bottom piece to fit the top. The three girls will lurve it. They love anything sparkly; especially my three year old.
Here you can see a close-up of the two sections and the fabric. I found this fabric in San Diego and it’s fabulous. I thought about making just a long raglan top but I thought that might look too much like a pair of pajamas. I thought the gathering gave it a little more “dress” attitude.
Here you can see how I lined up the sides of the fabric. I was surprised but I had no issues with the sequins at all. The serger sliced right through them and the sewing machine plowed right through too.
Here’s an illustration of what I did. These two pattern pieces are supposed to be taped together and should both be on the edge of the fabric. The original pattern piece also has a curved hem. I added a couple inches for the length and then straighten it out.
When all three girls get back to us, I’ll take a picture of them!