Sunday, January 18, 2015

Burda Challenge 2015 - January! (Burda and Jalie)

Here’s my first garment for the Burda Challenge. This is exactly why I love this challenge. This is never a pattern I would have picked out on my own. I’m more of the tight, figure-hugging silhouette kind of gal. This skirt is definitely not that. However, since I had to pick one out of the January Burda, I figured I’d give it a try. Turns out, I really like it! This is Burda 01-2015 #109. I made my typical size 34.
b_0115_113_2

 

 

I used a stretch wool from Fabric Mart to make the skirt. I think the full sides are a fun touch. It’s a very girly skirt. In the magazine, they used unfinished edges for the hems. I just added seam allowances and did a simple turn-up, stitched hem. The top is a Jalie 2805, but I’ll talk about that in a second.
b_0115_113_3

 

You can see it’s a pretty full skirt.
b_0115_113_4
b_0115_113_5b_0115_113_6

 

I used wool, and didn’t line it. GASP! I actually like wool against my skirt. I’m Alaskan though, we’re weird like that. The invisible zipper goes into the back side seam.
b_0115_113_7

 

 

This is just another standard t-shirt, Jalie 2805. This is a great pattern. Jalie makes their patterns in sizes 2T to Women’s sizes. Mine is a size R. I bought this thin sweater knit from FabricMart when they were having a Black Friday sale. It’s black and tan.
j_2805_14

 

I made the neckband in between a mock turtleneck and a regular collar.
j_2805_15

 

On the back left shoulder, I added some reverse applique. You can see it in one of the pictures above. I don’t know if I love it, or think it makes the shirt look homemade. I was thinking with all the hearts, it needed something. Maybe this wasn’t the something it needed. However, since it’s on the back, I forget about it, so I don’t really worry about it anyway.
j_2805_16

 

Come on Ladies! Get those January pieces done!!!

19 comments:

Digs Digs said...

What a cute look! I wouldn't have considered that skirt just from the technical drawing, but it looks terrific, in a wool at that, far better than I'd have guessed. It would be wonderful in a lightweight fabric.

Mrs. Smith said...

Ahhhh. I am waffling now! Lol! I liked this skirt but then was unsure and its sooooo cute on you! Dang it!!

Siri Andersen said...

Love the skirt to bits!! The shape is really lovely, and your choice of fabric is perfect. I'll agree with you on the "something" on the top back. But hey, you won't know until you try. You look lovely in your outfit all the same:)

Kristine Balinski said...

Super cute, nice job! Looks great, you inspire me to make SOMETHING for myself every month.

kathyh said...

Re: top
Too much pop of color. Sew a smaller black (match main fabric) heart within the pink so only 1/4 - 3/8" pink outline shows.
The skirt looks great on you.

Birgit said...

Wow, now that I've seen it on you, I also really like it! Might give it a go myself now.

Debbie Cook said...

The skirt is great on you! Wool next to your skin? Yep, you're weird. :-) I kinda like the pink heart on the back. On the front, it might be too twee ... but on the back, it's fun. And if you really hate it, you can just wear your hair down. ;-)

petiterepublic said...

very cute skirt, loving the ruffles!

CraftRage said...

I like the heart, but I think I'd like it better in tan, or even in a true red rather than the pink.

That said, I think your placement is perfect - on the front it would be too much, but on the back, it's a really great little detail!

divinerae said...

The skirt looks really great on you!!

Candice B said...

Really love this skirt, great work!

kristin at sunnysewing said...

Great skirt! I like the top too :) love those jalies :D

House Of Pinheiro said...

that skirt is so cool, perfect for the winter

Nothy Lane said...

Your skirt is gorgeous. I love winter skirts.

Cissie said...

Love that skirt! It's a nice diversion from pencil skirts and looks flirty and fun!

Andie L. said...

Love the outfit. The skirt is amazing and I love the reverse applique on the top. Such a cute detail. :)

Alice said...

Great outfit! It's nice to be out of your style comfort zone sometimes, isn't it? Perfect winter items :)

Crafty Mermaid said...

Love the skirt!

Lakaribane des Antilles said...

Hi Dawn, Just want to point out that you mislabeled your skirt on PR so it doesn't show up with the other reviews. The pattern number is 01-2015-109 and not -113. I just finished mine and will take photos today, hopefully!