Sunday, April 26, 2009

30 Minute Sewing

I don't normally buy crafty patterns but I love this one. They had little model pears, apples, strawberries by the counter.


I decided to make the apple first. Before our next Couture Jacket class, I have to gather some supplies. One of the things she wants us to have is a pin cushion for our pins. I do have the standard red tomato pin cushion but I wanted to have two in case I forgot the pin cushion at class. It only took about 30 minutes to make the whole thing.


It's eight pieces total. There are six apple pieces and two leaf pieces.


I used a green button to hold the leaves down and to do the tufting. After you stuff it, you take a really long needle and put it through the center of the apple. You do this back and forth and tighten it up to make the apple pucker at the two ends.


Here's the bottom.


You have to do a little handstitching. I think I did an okay job considering how much I stuffed this puppy. It's amazing how much fill you can put in something this size.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Cute! It reminds me of the toy foods on www.youcanmakethis.com
Yoiu inspire me to make an adorable pin cushion. I've collected them for years, but never made my own!
BeckyMc

Amanda S. said...

I love it!

angie.a said...

Super cute! I made the cutest dang pincushion for a swap a few years ago and have been kicking myself ever since for not making one for myself.

Julia said...

Cute! reminds me of some Christmas ornaments that my cousin made a few years ago.

Sue said...

Cute apple pin cushion!
I have just completed a jacket class and really enjoyed it. I am like you in that I have not had any training in sewing (except the few classes I have done lately). I found the experience great in that it really show me how to make a professional-looking germent and most of the technique seems to be in pressing and using the right pressing tools! I made Vogue 8124 but it is not a Claire Schaeffer pattern but I found it was drafted really well and I am a BWOF fan like you are. All the best with your class - just relax and enjoy it!

gwensews said...

Cute pincushion!

Anonymous said...

very cute! and now you have a couture pin cushion to go with your couture jacket class :O)

Paulette said...

crap! Now I want one...thanks Dawn.

Anonymous said...

I love sewing with a cute pincushion! Enjoy.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Very cute! I love my magnetic pincushion, though. Can't give up the convenience for cute!

Cole's Corner said...

It's sooo cute. I love it!

Paula Gardner said...

Super cute! I wish I were making a pincushion rather than a prom dress.

Bunny said...

Darling!

Dana said...

Hi Dawn!

Just wanted to tell you that I golfed with a friend who has a really good friend that lives in Anchorage and is a sewing fanatic! If you meet someone with a connection to the Cleveland area, named Michelle - that's her!

Cute cushion!