Saturday, March 2, 2013

Another Burda Gathered Raglan Top

This is a great pattern from Burda. I made this once before with a solid for the body and a stripe for the arms. The original was so nice, I made another one. This one is made from a charcoal gray knit. The length is just a titch long and I may shorten it by an inch or two.

b_022013_109_9

 

Here’s a detail show of the gathers and the neck treatment. I probably could have made the neckband a centimeter or two shorter but it works as is and I think when I wash it, it’ll shrink back up. You can see at CF how the neckline is just a bit loose.
b_022013_109_12

 

Look at the wonders of paint. We used Sherwin-Williams Duration paint. It covers so well we only had to do one coat. Painters are amazing. Like A-MAAAAZE-ING. When I paint, it takes forever and a day to tape, fill holes, sand, etc. This guys paints with no taping off. Let me say that again, he just paints. He doesn’t even tape off. Okay, what the hell. He probably thinks I’m a stalker because I was trying to learn by staring at him. Hard. He would turn around and I would be two feet away from him with a glazed look in my eye. I’m going to learn how to do it. I really am. Fuck taping. That takes longer than painting and it sucks. This is what my house looks like now. And yea, I still need to figure out exactly how to bring the pictures and mirror together a bit more. And yea, I kinda like the big blocky thing at the end. 
1photos2

 

This is before. You guys saw this picture in this post.

 

Caribbean in six days! Can’t wait!

11 comments:

Judith said...

Love the gorgeousy soft wall colour - that painter of yours sounds like a keeper! All I am good at with painting is the wavy line, smudgy look...J

velosewer said...

The shoulder detailing on this top makes it more interesting and edgy.

Lisa P said...

I love the shoulder gathering and that's a lovely fabric.

Debbie Cook said...

Great top! Great wall! Re the painting. I've done my fair share over the years and yes, F taping. One of the keys for me are the right brushes. You need a good ANGLED brush to paint at the "edges" where wall meets ceiling, trim, etc. Then you use it by holding the brush so you're painting with the point, kinda like a big magic marker. Long, steady strokes needing a steady hand and don't second guess yourself or you'll paint a bump in the line. I like a 1-1/2" or 2" angled brush, or even narrower for the really tricky spots.

lupecienta said...

Dawn hello I love your creations, I follow you in a while but had not had the oprotunidad to write on your blog

ybennett said...

Cute top! Professional painters never use tape. That's what distinguishes professionals from amateurs. :) They also use the proper tools (brushes and such).

Becky said...

OK, here is the secret to painting without taping. Be fearless! It's only paint! You can wipe it off or paint over it. It is not nearly as intimidating as cutting fabric, seriously. Once that fabric is cut, you are committed. Not so with paint. It's all about attitude. No hesitation. Dawn, I love this top. I wish I was as fearless about Burda patterns or sewing as I am about painting. You are fearless about sewing, so I know you have it in you to be fearless about painting.

Frances said...

Great top. Re picture wall trace out size of frames on scrap paper and tack on to the wall until you have a pleasing arrangement. Generally imagine a shape ie a rectangle and place everything within. Or check out the blog of centsational girl she had a post on this subject

Elizabeth Halpern said...

I know what you mean about the taping - ugh. It takes forever! I just had to say that I think your picture arrangement looks great as it is, EXCEPT that I think the height is off. From the photos, its just looks like everything is too high on the wall, especially compared to the mirror. I know it's a PITA, but I would just lower the whole arrangement, basically as is, to be more or less level with the mirror - creating one long horizontal line that your eye follows down the wall. HTH.

Elizabeth Halpern said...

I know what you mean about the taping, ugh! And just adding my 2 cents here: I think your picture arrangement looks great, as-is, but from the photo it just looks too high on the wall compared with the mirror. I know it's a PITA, but I would just lower everything, basically as it is, until it is all more or less level with the mirror- creating one long horizontal line along the wall. HTH

French_Seam said...

I hate taping too. Oh, one way to pull your pictures & mirror together is to line the tops up, or the bottoms up. It's a simple trick but really effective