These are the alterations I made to the t-shirt front. I made a low v-neck by looking at this BWOF top. I took in a few inches at the waist and I made the skirt part a bit more a-line (left photo). The middle photo just shows the places where I slashed and spread the pieces. The right picture shows what parts I slashed and when. The pink slashes were done for the muslin. I found that it wasn't gathered enough for me on the muslin so I added the teal slashes for the real dress.
To figure out how to slash and spread to make gathers I have Marie to thank for pointing out the BurdaStyle directions and Nancy K for pointing me to Debbie Cook's top over at PatternReview.com. Thanks guys!!