Sunday, December 14, 2008

How Did I Get Him?

My husband, that is . . .

He goes to Houston on business and look what he brings home for me. He even kept with my purple colors scheme for this winter.


He's not sure of the fabric content/weave on this but I would guess it's a poly/cotton gauze. It is crinkled and you can stretch it but it snaps back into those crinkles. I'm not sure what to make with it. He always tries to challenge me, you see. So, of course, he gets me something I have never used before.


This one is fun. It's a polyester/Lycra moleskin (guessing). This will make a great a-line skirt or a skirt with a little flounce. I want a simple pattern so the argyle isn't chopped up.



This is a silk dupionni. The color is so hard to photograph. It is more blue than what this photo shows. This is 60" wide by about 3 yards. I'll have to figure out some fun dress to make with it.

This is a rich red silk dupionni. It is darker than this picture. The only problem is there is not much yardage. It's a 45" wide fabric and there is just over a yard. What can I make with it?


This is Italian cotton shirting. It has a subtle twill pattern to it. I'm going to make a great blouse with it. Maybe one of the new BWOF blouses that have come out in the past couple of months?


He rocks. Oh, and he told me not to blog about because he didn't want the other husbands of the sewing world to, "get sh$% because he likes to make his wife happy." See? He's even trying to be nice to your spouses.

13 comments:

teresa said...

You've got an amazingly thoughtful and resourceful husband there.

Would he mind sharing where he got it? I'm going to Houston next week and I'd love to check out some fabric stores while I'm in town. Thanks!

Gorgeous Things said...

Oh yeah, he's a keeper!

Unknown said...

Wow. What a guy! That red piece would make a gorgeous summer blouse or cami...

Anonymous said...

What a nice guy!!!
Kristen

Sharon Sews said...

Sweet! (I got me one of those hubbies too)

Meg said...

Fabric shopping, or any kind of shopping for that matter, makes my DH break out in a cold sweat.

As for that little piece of red dupioni, I have a similar small piece of brown dupioni that I used up to make trims, neckline plackets and exterior facings, covered buttons, etc. It wasn't enough to make a single garment but it has added a touch of class to several garments.

2BSewing: said...

He's a sweetheart! OMG...not just one piece of fabric, but several! BTW...really nice fabrics...Susan

Anonymous said...

aww how sweet! Yeah, he'd definitely a keeper!

As for the red dupioni, depending on the width, I'd try BurdaStyle's Maddy top. I made on ages ago in silver dupioni (with a contrast for the diamond) and it was great.

Reethi said...

How sweet!

BTW - if it isn't already on your radar, Houston has a ton of sari shops in the Indian section of town (can't remember off the top of my head where it is, but I spent one winter there, and its where all the Indian restaurants in town are.) That might make a good fabric resource for next time...

Anonymous said...

Ignoring all your beautiful new fabric out of jealousy, I wanted to ask a question re your photography. Your photos always look great and show a garment well as you post a "whole body shot". My questions are now about your fabric - how do photogarph that? You seem to be able to show the colour and texture well. Are there any tips re lighting lens etc you want to share?
Your graphs were so interesting BTW and got me thinking too.
Natasha

Dana said...

What a catch - and one with good taste!

Love that Jalie top too, especially in a sweater knit.

Kat said...

Husbands that encourage sewing are a gem! Of course, my DH would never pick up fabric for me, but he always says, "If you want a (particular) machine, buy it! You deserve it."

Karen said...

Oh, no, the other men out there need to know about this. The BF is very patient while I'm shopping, and he did spring for a coverstitch machine for me for Xmas this year, but I think if left alone in a fabric store, he'd come out empty-handed because he would have no idea what to buy me.

Your husband made some extremely good guesses there, so I'm looking forward to seeing this made up.