Saturday, November 7, 2009

Burda 10-2009 #104 Hooded Knit Dress

Here's the line drawing and model photo thanks to Kim. She posted a link to the German version of the website with the October magazine (thanks Kim!!). Like I said before, the model photo is cute but the line drawing is a bit mehhhh.


And here is my version. I used the reverse side of this fabric. I love this fabric. It's wool on this side and poly on the reverse side. It's like wearing a soft, cozy blanket. It's a very loose style which I am not used to but I do loooove tights and boots. I found the construction to be interesting. At first look at the line drawing, I assumed there would be a zipper but there is not. You use twill tape to finish the seam allowances. But, you also use the twill tape to make an underlap that attaches to your original ribbon facing. I used grosgrain ribbon instead of twill tape. Then you sew snaps to the underlap and the facing. I decided to whack it a few times with my industrial snap press and put on shiny silver snaps. I thought it needed a little bling.



You can see in this photo that there is very little shaping. I debated trying to make it a little tighter but decided, in the end, to leave it alone. I do like it but it is not a style that I usually wear.


Here are some detailed photos of the facing and underflap. You cut the front on the fold but then slash it open from the top the CF marking. Then you sew together the CB hood. After that you face it with twill tape (I used ribbon).



Here's the underlap. You create it by putting the ribbon together, sewing the sides of it, and then attaching that to the facing strips. Finally you fold the facing under and topstitch from the top. The underlap part extends into the CF. I hope that makes sense. I had to read, read, and re-read the directions to finally figure out what was happening.


Here's a close-up. It will either completely explain what I'm babbling about or it will confuse you.



I can totally see this with skinny jeans tucked into boots too. Aaaauuuugh, I love sewing with knit.

21 comments:

KID, MD said...

I was inexplicably attracted to this design too, although it is not at all my usual. You look awesome. I love the bling and it coordinates with the studs on your boots (which are also fabulous!).

Unknown said...

Wow, you're fast. I wish I had a dollar for every time I posted that here! Nice job, it looks warm and cozy!

Brian Remlinger said...

I agree, that does look cozy! I think I'd wear that around the house all the time but with nothing underneath..

Lilian said...

How do you do that? You make something (indeed a bit) shapeless into a very lovely garment. Your styling has probably something to do with it as well. I love it, it looks great on you!

gwensews said...

That is cute-ish! It's a casual, comfy style but very up-town.

Pam Erny said...

Just Love it...you wear it well too!

Lina said...

I was planing to sew that dress.
Now I have to copy you.LOL Great job.Love it!!!

Lori said...

I really like this sweater and the style looks fantastic on you. I am going to have to get that issue and be on the hunt for sweater knit.

angie.a said...

Cute! Love the crazy bright tights, I just ordered bright purple & magenta myself. ;)

Jean said...

I'm glad you made that dress. I really liked it in the magazine and your version is just as cute. Thanks for the inspiration!

Lisa said...

I have nominated you for a Kreativ blogger award on my blog here :-)

http://creativecraftwork.blogspot.com/2009/11/my-first-blog-award.html

Kim said...

So cute and you're welcome ;-) I have some purple sweater knit that I've been dying to make into something. This just may be it! I'm worried about the "no shape" thing though...

Bunny said...

Adorable, hip outfit. It looks so comfy, too!

Claudine said...

That dress looks so much nicer than I would have thought possible from looking at the line drawing.

Anonymous said...

This is the perfect weekend outfit. I love it. Great styling, too. Love those boots!

Manitoulin Threads said...

OK, you have inspired me. I debated about sewing it, loved the picture, but was hesitant due to the line drawing. Now I want one, but I think I will have to try and give it some shaping at the waist because with my hourglass figure it may make me look like a barn door. It looks so cozy though, and a great reason to break out the tights! Thanks for posting - I think you have gotten me out of a slump!

Gorgeous Things said...

I am sorely tempted to get that HP dress too. I love the lines! And I really love that Burda dress on you. Great styling!

amber said...

That looks so incredibly comfy and perfect for cooler temps!

cidell said...

Have we talked about these boots yet? Because, they are fabulous.

Alviana said...

u look great. i love how comfortable it is. and also love ur boots! :)

Joan said...

hi,
any chance anyone out there has a Burda 10-2009 #109 pattern they'd be willing to share or sell? Thanks