Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Kwik Sew 3576 - Another jumper

Remember way back when? The first time I made this jumper in February of 2008? I loved it then and I love it now. My sewing skills have come a long way since then. When I made it the first time, I had only been garment sewing for six months or so. The fit and construction are much better this time. I made this out of a gorgeous purple twill wool. I bought it from Ann over at Gorgeous Fabric a long time ago but never wanted to cut into it because I liked it so much. It has pockets and a belt. I do not have a belt buckle for it yet. I made this jumper at the original length. The first time I lengthened it. The more I sew, the higher my hemlines seem to get. I think this is a great length for boots and tights though. With the other one, tall boots seem to be too much. I'll wear it with a turtleneck like this. It could also be worn sleeveless. I also lowered the front neckline by about a 1/2" and raised the back neckline by the same amount.





Here I tried to lighten the colors a little so you can see details. Now that it is darker earlier, I am reduced to taking inside photos again. I used Coats and Clark Heavy Dual thread in a gold color.


Here's another light one that shows the bust darts. It is shaped by two front waist darts, two back waist darts, and two bust darts. The waist darts are all partially concealed by pockets and belt loops.

The true color is just a bit darker than this.


I'll try to get some natural light photos but the sun sets by 4:30pm and it's twilight-y for an hour or so before that.

19 comments:

Lori said...

Very cute, the fabric is perfect for this jumper.

senaSews said...

Cute dress. I love the pockets!

mimi o said...

I like the fabric, hard to distinguish in the first photos but very pretty for this outfit.

Marybeth said...

Really nice!

Bunny said...

Darling jumper an what a workhorse! I hear you on the "sundown" syndrome. By 3:30 we are pushing the envelope but at least the days won't be as short as yours come mid winter. Hate the loss of light and find it depressing!

gwensews said...

Cute jumper. Your whole outfit is very chic.

okie2thfairy said...

Dawn, I found this site for buckles. If you order from them let us know how they are. I think they have a MILLION different shapes and sizes.

http://lesbonribbon.chainreactionweb.com/oscommerce/index.php?cPath=37_124&sort=2a&page=3&osCsid=db44aaa38b23f631bfadb862d272363a

Anonymous said...

Cute, cute, cute. Don't you just love a jumper!? The length is great on you -- I like it much better than the first one. You look like "hot mama" in this!
Cissie

Little Hunting Creek said...

So cute - and it looks great on you. Why not wear shorter hemlines if you have nice legs? they look cute on you

Gorgeous Things said...

I love that fabric, and I love that jumper on you. Great job!

Unknown said...

That's a perfect 10 in my book! Love the fabric, love the pattern, love the fit!

Vicki said...

Sun sets by 4.30 and it is only November? As much as we love to complain here in Melbourne we really do have great weather. The worst we get is darkish by 5.30 and then only when it is completely overcast. But of course it is now spring and we have had a week of early 30c - I am starting to like this.
Anyway, back to your sewing. I do love the short length on you. You are young and have great legs so this length looks really good. And haven't you come a long way in such a short time? Fantastic.

Miss Shigatsu said...

i've done that pattern twice myself and used it as the base for a costume. i love it! it's quick and easy and comes out so cute every time.

Kathi said...

What a cute jumper!! It looks great on you too, especially with the boots!

Amanda S. said...

Super cute jumper, Dawn. I may be forced to make this as well. The length is perfect, especially with boots.

Eugenia said...

That jumper is so great and it really suits you. I love those pockets and the fabric is gorgeous, lovely colours.

Jules said...

Such a cute jumper. I find amazing is well developed your sewing skills are for someone who's been sewing garments only for a couple of years! Until today I had assumed you had been sewing forever - shows what I know.

Jean said...

Such a cute style, especially with the boots!

amber said...

Love it! Looks fabulous on you.