Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dumbass Move #2

So this must be the week of dumbass. Can you see what is wrong with this picture below? Somehow I traced off the wrong pattern piece for the yoke. It is the same basic shape but much shorter in length. When I put the dress together the back of the main dress was too wide but I often have difficulties with the Burda pleating directions. Undeterred, I just pleated more and moved on. When I went to attach the yoke to the front sections, WHOA, something was really wrong.



As you can tell from this photo, it's considerably shorter. My clue should have been the markings on the sleeve. What are they for, I wondered. Well, they aren't for my dress . . . After looking at the piece with a critical eyeball, I realize it was for the men's shirt # 131. It's also a green tracing line but it's on the opposite side as the sheet I was tracing from. So, in other words, I traced the wrong side of the sheet. I always put my pattern sheets on the window. It's great because I can see the lines clearly but, I also see the other side of the pattern sheet.



Here's the wrong on top of the right.

The dress should be done tonight or tomorrow. I had to rip off the yoke and iron out the pleating I had done. Ever have a week where you feel like you are spinning your wheels?

13 comments:

Myra said...

All the time (on feeling like you are spinning your wheels)

gwensews said...

Yes, most of them! e

Meg said...

Email me your address on FB and I will pick up some carbon paper for tracing the next time I'm in the city. You have a tracing wheel, right? I trace BWOF by laying carbon paper face up on a table, placing the tracing paper on top of the carbon, then finally the BWOF pattern on top. I run the tracing wheel directly on the BWOF pattern, tracing through all three layers. It works well. But I do make dumbass mistakes all the time.

Amy said...

Yep, I certainly have weeks like that. Just tonight, I accidentally cut through the sleeve of my dress when trimming the seams. Argh. Now I have to rip it all out and redo. *sigh* Hopefully, tomorrow will be the start of better sewing for both of us!

Elaray said...

You trace at a window and you can see all the lines from both sides!!!!! I can't imagine that!! I would be so confused! I would make nothing but dumbass mistakes. I lay out the pattern sheet on a large cutting table and lay tracing paper on the top.

verobirdie said...

oh poor you!
When i'm in a week like that, I leave whatever I was doing, make a nice cup of tea, drink it, and that start something easier :-)

Unknown said...

Absolutely, we all have weeks like that! Just be thankful you have enough fabric left to recut the right yoke (with my luck, I wouldn't!). Chin up, we can see the light at the end of the school-year tunnel...

Little Hunting Creek said...

I do stuff like that all the time - you are not alone. :)

Beth Conky said...

Yes I make stupid mistakes all the time. The last two BWOF patterns I traced off, I cut out before adding seam allowences. Duh...You just have to laugh at yourself.

judy said...

All the time....many this past week.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

I definitely feel like that on some projects. Lately I've been experimenting with sewing in the evenings after work. On one project I spent the first half hour every night ripping out what I'd done the previous night, and the rest of the time putting in seams to rip out the next night. Ugh!

Bunny said...

Empathy here. I have had a similar week but it feels on the rise now.

angie.a said...

Hahahaha!!! Yes, I've experienced the week o'the dumbass! Too many times unfortunately. ;)