Friday, May 29, 2009

That Darn Kat -- Kids' Underwear

Mother-poop-talk coming up. If you don't have kids, are easily disgusted, or just don't give a crap (ha! get it??) you should skip this blog entry.

I downloaded this kids' underwear pattern from that*darn*kat on etsy quite a while ago. Now that I'm in the midst of potty training it seems I need a lot of underwear. My girls are not catching on quickly to the whole "pee in the potty" thing. So I'm have lots of accidents times two. The other day I had gone through eleven pairs of underwear before noon. Thankfully not one of them were of the solid variety. So, new underpants are in order. I made the size 4 and they fit well. There is no elastic so they are super easy. The pattern does say to make sure you use knit with lycra and recovery for the leg and waistbands. This is what keeps them staying on. All of the pieces are made from scrap knits.


The backs are my favorites. I don't know if the embroidery is going to itch but I figure they will only have them on for 56 seconds anyway so it really doesn't matter.



Both of these cute embroideries came from Emblibrary.com.




There is only two main pieces. The front and back overlap to create the extra layer of fabric for the panty lining. See that label on the back? I've realized after making some kid clothing that they always need to have a tag in the back. If you want your kids to get dressed by themselves (I do! I do!) they need to be able to identify the back of the shirt, underwear, pants, etc.



I used variegated thread on my serger. The girls will think it's cute.


*****************
And if you haven't popped over to the Sew Along section of PatternReview today, you should go and see the thread I started. I read all 74 pages of the Jeans Sew Along and condensed it into a really loooong thread. Cidell had written to me last week and asked me to start a new thread with a condensed version of the information. It took a while because there is so much great stuff in that Jeans Sew Along thread. Hopefully this will make it a bit easier to find information.

21 comments:

Keely said...

These are so cute! I know what you mean about tags in kids clothing. I use a bit of ribbon folded over for my kids.

Claudine said...

They're so cute! I hope you won't need all that underwear for very long.

hilde said...

I started reading your post during breakfast, saw the warning and thought, okay, I'll skip this one! But after breakfast I got curious (one of those instances where you know you don't want to know but still do) and it wasn't half as bad as I expected :-). It's still about sewing and that always makes up for disgusting stuff (but really this wasn't disgusting to me). The whole post made me smile. Very cute underwear!

Sue said...

Cute pants - sometimes it may be worth putting them back into nappies for a while. They may not get the 'pee in a potty' now, but for a lot less angst they may get it it in a a month or two. (Unsolicited advice warning should have been attached to this comment - ignore it and do what you think is right for you and your kids...)

Elaray said...

Awww! So cuuute! I may have heard somewhere that children don't like soiling underwear when it's cute. I guess it's not a good thing to crap all over Spidey! You may have solved your potty problem!

waikikimum said...

Very cute underwear! I love all the things you sew. You are very talented!
My daughter can't handle RTW tags and makes me cut them out, however, when I sew her something she insists on a tag. Go figure! I just use a little soft ribbon.

cidell said...

What does it say that I would wear those underwear? Especially the one with the stars. Sigh.

Julia said...

Cute! Good luck witht he potty training!

JoanneM said...

Cute underwear! Have you thought of bribery? I know, I know,every good child psychologist would shudder,but it worked for all four of mine.....and none of them need therapy .....so far.......

marysews said...

I'll bet 56 seconds is a long time at your house ...

[duck and run]

Melissa said...

I tested that pattern last summer for Katie before she released it for sale. I really like how fast (and cute) the undies are and best of all, my youngest son think his undies are sooo cool. GL with potty training, I'm so glad that is way beyond us - not my favorite parenting task at all.

Unknown said...

The panties are adorable. I am usually a lurker, I love your blog, BTW. My DD now 15, was a quick learner, she almost taught herself, but her warning mechanism, :) was lacking, and when she had to go, she had to GO NOW! She was very opposed to pull-ups or diapers and insisted on her panties(I made hers too), and I learned that I was afraid of accidents in the car seat pretty quickly... To keep her happy, and encourage the developement, and to keep my sanity, I made some panties with double layers in the crotch, with PUL in between, that kept things clean, but the constant changing ensued. Then I realized that the amount was small, and I used a disposable liner, when we left the house, and the toilet was not 10 feet away at all times. It did not always work, there were still times I had to change her for sure, but it did buy me some degree of sanity.

BTW, if they are unhappy with diapers/pull ups, the rubber pants you use over cloth diapers, will protect the car seat. I had to make a rule, that in the car the rubber pants had to be on. She wore dresses almost exclusively, so we just left a pair sitting on her seat. When she got in, she would put them on, and when she got out, she would leave them there. That kept me from driving off the road in panic when she said she had to porty, lol.

Good Luck,

Crystal

elizabethe said...

delurking to say I'm potty training my two year old boy with equally limited success and I feel your pain! good luck. Those underpants are soooo cute.

gwensews said...

Potty training is just a part of life everyone has to deal with. It will happen. Cute undies! Thank you so much for all the work you did on the jeans sewing along, condensing the information. That was a lot of work, and I, for one, appreciate it.

katherine h said...

Hmmm, I'm hearing you. I remember once counting 35 pairs of knickers in one load of washing...I didn;t even know we owned that many. It seems like a funny present, but I appreciated when people gave 7-pair undie packs for birthday presents!

I'm off to read the condensed jean entry now...I started reading the full version a few days ago, but it was just too long.

Debbie Cook said...

You are hilarious! Love your intro sentence.

Cute undies. I hope they get less and less use, IYKWIM. Good luck with the girls' potty training. I was lazy with my boys ... they ran around the house sans any pants at all (we had ceramic tile floors!).

Anonymous said...

Hey Dawn -- my 1st potty trained easily, my second notsomuch, so I know this is a shot it the dark, but it was a motivator for #1: I got boring, ugly, totally plain absorbant toddler undies for her to wear during training. Then we went shopping for fancy, dry, big girl undies. In her case they had cows and ducks on them. Super duper cute. They went in her undies drawer for gazing upon and desiring dearly, and stayed there until she'd been dry for 5 days in a row. Dude. She did that really fast. I did have to repo them for a little while when she wasn't sure it was worth the effort. She wanted them back. Since you can MAKE the undies, you have so very many more options.... May the Force be with you. CH

Paulette said...

LUV the undies!!

BConky said...

I love that pattern too. I've been making those for all my granddaughters. They love them.

meredithp said...

Love the undies! Since potty training at our house involves a litter box, I can't relate, but I especially love the stars. I think I need some stars on my own undies.

How's the Jacket class going?

Ramraj Cotton said...

Nice post about Kids Inner wear thanks for sharing nice information. We are also Manufacturer & Supplier and Exporter of Kids Inner wear in India - http://www.ramrajcotton.com