Monday, May 11, 2009

Meet Fat Max and Other Crap

First off, happy Mother's Day to you Moms! My kids and I went to Grandma's house, ate a lot of food, and hung out at the park. My husband is in Houston again (yay fabric!!!) and Grandpa is out Bar Hunting (bear hunting for you non-alaskans). Here are some requisite kid photos. Awwwwwww . . .

Son.


Sad daughter #2. Nice bruise, eh?



Happy daughter #1.


Happy daughter #2. They are 2.5 YO (someone asked me that in an earlier post).

***********************

Next up: Meet Fat Max. I use this chisel to slice open buttonholes. I bought it at Lowe's and it stays in my sewing room. This is not allowed in the garage or near my husband. He'll actually use it for something chisel-y. I bought the smallest width I could so it will work for very small buttonholes.



To use this, put a board on a hard floor, put your jeans on the board, carefully line up the chisel and whack it with the palm of your hand. This puppy is sharp enough that it slices through just about anything. For a long buttonhole, lift, shift, and repeat.
***********************

Speaking of jeans, I finished my third pair of Jalie jeans. These are the second item for my mini-SWAP.


And you guys are addicts like I am. Lots of you knew that Rocketboy was my inspiration. He's a jeans-making badass.


Pockets are the pink/purple silk duppioni from the dress. This picture shows the most accurate color of the denim.

And yes, they have a pink zipper. I couldn't resist.

20 comments:

Lori said...

Your jeans look fantastic. Sounds like a great Mother's Day and your kiddos are very cute.

quer|elastisch Sabine Sprotte said...

Nice idea to have a date with Fat-Max. But I worry about my husband wouldn't agree. (Great idea to use a chisel for that work.)

Please! more of these "I-can't resists". I love those details.

Further on, good luck for the challenge.

Sabine

kbenco said...

I love the pink zip, and duponi pockets, how luxurious.

Sue said...

Your pink details on the jeans are lovely...

Bunny said...

Pretty AND pink!

Anonymous said...

I love the pink!! Nice surprise. Rocketboy, inspired me with his vintage sheet shirts! I went and thrifted a sheet to make one...now I have to get over the fact that someone has slept in this sheet! Hello bleach!

gwensews said...

Thank you for starting the jeans sew-along on PR. I didn't join, but I did just finish a pair of McCall jeans, which I really like. I have the Jalie pattern, and several others, including one one order from J.Stern. The sew along had such fantastic ideas. I used a red zip in my jeans. How fun! I'll be making more soon.

Tina said...

Your DH brings you fabric back from business trips? I feel a small tinge of jealousey.

Your jeans look great too! YOu're the reason I bought the Jalie pattern. Now, I just have to wait to not be pregnant anymore to wear them! lol

Mz. Choize said...

Great idea for button's, I never would've thought of that! BTW, where does your husband go for fabric in Houston,I live there too and would love to know.
Thanx

Julia said...

Love the picts of your kids.

HR said...

hot fabric! cute zipper idea!!

Unknown said...

Wow, you're on your third pair, and I haven't made any! That's sad... Love the pink, and the star pockets are too cute. The kiddos are adorable, even with crocodile tears!

Anonymous said...

Forgive the dumb questions... But is the silk dupioni washable? will the pockets stand up to the same wear as the denim will? Newbie sewist here.

gensews said...

You inspired me and I knocked out three pairs of Jalie jeans in three days! Thanks! I love seeing what you're up to!

Susan said...

love the pink!

Little Hunting Creek said...

I use a chisel for button holes too. Way better than scissors, and I hide mine from everybody(sometimes even me!)
Love the silk pockets and the pink zipper - designer touches!

David said...

Your kids are such cuties!

And those jeans are wonderful.

Ann Made Studio said...

Love the pink in those jeans :) and
Very cute kids.

Claire S. said...

Love the pink details !

-E said...

pink zipper... genius!