Sunday, October 19, 2008

Kwik Sew 3578 Pull-over Knit Dress

ks_3578_1ks_3578_2ks_3578_3

 

I am glad I take photos of clothing to put on patternreview.com and my blog. I was not liking this dress at all before I saw it in the photos. I like the shape now that I see it in the photos.

Coverstitch hem. You want something stretchy because it is narrow at the bottom. ks_3578_6

Here is the button I am planning on using. There is nothing on it yet.
ks_3578_7





The keyhole back is my favorite part. There is no button on it yet.
ks_3578_4

The waist has elastic to keep it snug.
ks_3578_5


Here's the review from PatternReview.com:
Pattern Description: Misses' pull-over close fitting dresses have cap sleeves, round neckline with tucks at center front, keyhole opening at back with button and loop closure, and slightly dropped waist with gathered skirt. Armholes and neckline are finished with narrow bindings. View A has a tie belt. View B has contrast band at bottom edge, and armhole and neckline bindings are from contrast fabric.

Pattern Sizing: XS-S-M-L-XL. I made the XS.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes it looks very similar to the drawings and the model photo. Although I think the gathers are higher than they show. I'll alter that next time.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Kwik Sew directions are always top notch; super diagrams and easy to understand wording.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I really like the tucks at the top of the dress and the keyhole back. I am not such a big fan of the gathers at the hip although I figured that was a concern when I bought this pattern. I may need to add an inch or so in torso length to make it a drop waist. On me, the gathers hit right at my waist level. I don't like the side view much. I'm not crazy about the color of the dress either.

Fabric Used: This is a bright poly-lycra knit with subtle horizontal stripes. I got it from the Fabric Coop run by Ressy. This may be hit with the iDye Poly in black.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I made my standard 1/2" tuck between shoulder and bust. I flared out a bit at the lower waist and hip. This is an extra small and the hip measurements show that being about 32.5". That's not me. I'm more in the S range (35.5").

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I may sew it again with a more subdued color. I will wear it the winter as a jumper and in the summer by itself. Make sure you use a stretchy stitch for the bottom hem because it is quite tight and you need the stretch there to take long strides. I used my coverstitch to hem it.

Conclusion: I love the neck tucks! I think with a bit lower gathers and a color that doesn't shout it will be very cute.

11 comments:

Joyce in NC said...

Good job!! It looks good on you.

kbenco said...

This is a terrific shape on you. Knit dresses are so tricky to evaluate before you wear them! I love the neckline, front and back.

Meg said...

Loving this on you. Pretty color and flattering shape. A winner!

Myra said...

Really nice one, never have used Kwik Sew, have to look into them.

kasizzle said...

This looks so good on you!

Unknown said...

Great color on you, please don't dye it black! I was also thinking a black jacket over for more cold weather use? I just did a post about the co-op, been getting questions about how it works. Eagerly anticipating my next shipment!

Anonymous said...

That dress looks AWESOME on you. That blue is definitely your color. I have that pattern and was just thinking about making something from it. I have seen alot of clothing lately with those collar tucks.

Jacqui said...

Definitely a keeper! Looks fab! BTW, I think I have those same shoes but in brown. They're adorable but mine actually tore on the sole the first time I wore them. The sole looks to be made of paper!

Janene said...

What a cute dress - and so versatile - and it looks so good on you...

Anonymous said...

"This may be hit with the iDye Poly in black"
Does that mean there's a dye that will dye poly?!?!

theperfectnose said...

Gah the pics have vanished..