Friday, October 31, 2008

Ottobre 05-2008-7 Pinafore Dress

So. It's okay. This is my first Ottobre Women pattern. I am a sick puppy right now so I not wearing my contacts. I'll wear this but I don't love it. I don't think it's the pattern so much as the style. There is certainly something wrong with those side notches though. Here it is with the grey turtleneck I love.

The back looks worse than it really is. The zipper isn't perfect but it this picture makes it look crooked and really bad. The button is a big random one I had in my stash.


I liked the look with the raglan t-shirt from the same issue. I made the size 34 with my shoulder/bust tuck and it is just wrong. This is how the shoulders fit. Hmmmmm, that part is too big it seems but the upper arms are tight. Tight. And the chest area is tight too. Really tight. I was using a stretchy knit so it must be the sizing. With BWOF their 34 is always perfect for my top half. That jumper above is a 34 and it fits just fine.

And check this out. This is before hemming it. These are supposed to be full length sleeves. I did do the measurements. I am clearly in the 34 size range for my upper half according to their chart.
I could make this work but BWOF has a raglan t-shirt dress coming out in the next issue. I almost never have to change their patterns to fit me. I guess I'll just be forced to stick with BWOF for now. I will probably still make a few other things out of Ottobre but now I'm not sure what size to make. I think I'll pass on the Women's Ottobre. I think I will pick up a few of the kids ones so I can have some basics. BWOF does have some basics. I'll have to look and see what I need out of there.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

How frustrating for you, what a bummer. In my opinion, the shoulders/straps make more of a "dress" statement, than "pinafore". The fabric is great, too bad about the fit, with the shirt, too. Thanks for the preview of the Nov. BWOF, I always forget to look ahead! Glad you survived conferences!! Clear fluids and lots of rest...

Shelley's Garden said...

While the pinafore dress isn't perfect around the neck, I still think it looks good. I'm wondering if it might fit better with a less bulky long-sleeved t underneath. I like the large button in the style at the back but wonder if you covered a large button with some fabric scraps. Does your local fabric store sell those kits?

angie.a said...

Sorry you're feeling bad!! And that you had bad luck with Ottobre. :( Feel better soon! (And its OK to stick to BWOF, you make such lovely things from it!!)

Gorgeous Things said...

There is definitely some wonky drafting going on with that neckpiece. You did a great job. It's a pity the pattern is problematic. Oh well, on to the next big thing, right?
:)

Vicki said...

What a shame! Well it looks like you are moving on with that list you have (in the next post). Hope you are feeling better soon :))

Joy said...

I was just trolling through your posts to see how Ottobre woman patterns have fit others. I just made that raglan shirt and I'm glad to see that weird neck problem is not just me. I think I'll stop trying to make that shirt work! Too bad - I hate to give up on Otto woman, but their tops have been unpredictable for me. I've had better luck with Burda.
Thanks for all your helpful reviews!