Friday, October 24, 2008

Trouser Jeans 1

Last week I wrote about the CAbi party jeans I was going to try to knock-off. My fabric from Fabric.com came really fast so I've already cut-out the fabric. Before I actually start sewing I want to experiment with topstitching and making welt pockets. Here are samples of topstitching. The fabric is a dark blue-ish grey. I can't really decide if it is more black or blue. From l-r below: Gutterman upolstery thread in grey, regular weight Gutterman thread, heavy duty Coats and Clark thread, and Gutterman topstitching thread. I really like the two on the right. The Gutterman topstitching thread is so pretty but such a pain in the butt. My sewing machine doesn't like to go through multiple layers with it.




Here's another view. The two that I like are on the bottom.


I want to practice welt pockets before I try it "for real" on my pants. I plan to do a deep, single welt pocket on the front and then double welt pockets with tab on the back. If you look closely at the CAbi photo, you can just see the hint of the single welt pockets. The back has two flap pockets held down by snaps.

Here is the original Jalie 2561 (review from January) line drawing and the modification. No major changes. I'm going to add double welt pockets with tab to the back.

4 comments:

Salinda said...

You've got more guts than I do. :) Good luck!

Anonymous said...

HI Dawn, I just went to a CAbi party recently also! I loved the clothes, but I ended up snoop shopping instead because none of the tops fit (all the sleeves were too long!)- Thank goodness. I could have done some real $$$ damage! except...I did buy the jeans, and the sweater vest. I plan on making the plaid coat at some point. I'm sure your jeans will look fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I like the topstitching that you like. If one of the threads turns out to be a PITB, then you may no longer like that thread. I'd pick the easier one for now. You do great work, so either one will look great.

kbenco said...

I think these jeans will be fabulous. Re topstitching on denim with guterman upholstery - you probably know all this, but just in case - I found that it went much better with a bigger needle - 90 was better than 80, and 100 was even better than this when I could get one! I also needed to alter the tension, but if the other thread is better behaved.....