Saturday, October 25, 2008

Uh Oh Ottobre . . .

So I had to do it. I just had to see how this compared to BWOF. I haven't made anything yet but I love some of the designs. I bought this off eBay. I'm not convinced I need a subscription. Yet.


Here are all the designs in this magazine. I circled the ones I really like. I'm the same size in Ottobre as in BWOF. My hips are size 36 but everything else is 34. I have traced out the cargo pants at the bottom. I am on a jeans-making kick right now and I think these would make a nice loose cargo-y type of pant. I'll do a muslin seeing as this is my first ever Ottobre pattern.


Here are some of the other patterns I like. The raglan t-shirt has pleated shoulders. I really like the coat too. In a day or two I'll give a full run-down of the major differences between BWOF and Ottobre.


Here are the cargo pants. I am making them without the leg pocket.


I love this pintucked top/tunic/dress.

7 comments:

Lori said...

I use to subscribe but my girls are too old for the children's patterns. I did buy this issue, just for the top on the front cover. I need to get some fabric to make it. Can't wait to hear what you think.

Nancy K said...

I have a couple of issues but haven't made anything yet. I love that top too.

angie.a said...

Oh, I really think you need a sub. The issue coming out this week had ADORABLE kids coats and winter things in it! You could get so much mileage from just that issue alone.

Plus...you're so tiny the tween/teen sizes (146-152-170) are absolutely in your size range. And some of them are really cute, especially the tops. (there's an adorable dress in the teen size in this new issue too.) So you would technically be getting patterns for you all year round, not just the women's issue!

Unknown said...

The design page you showed circled: is that all you get in one issue? It seems like you get twice as much in BWOF. But I've been curious too, so keep us posted!

Nancy Winningham said...

This is my first visit to your blog. It won't be the last. :-) I like it!

Amy Bailes said...

I actually let my sub. to BWOF lapse this year, but will definitely keep my Ottobre sub. Their clothes patterns are alot closer to my lifestyle. I think that you would love their childrens clothes also. They aren't nearly as complicated as BWOF.

Melissa said...

I subscribe to Ottobre (both kids & ladies issues) and LOVE it. I have had a subscription for sevearl years and that is just about all I sew for my kids anymore (occassionally a KS or an old Big 4 that is in my stash that has been tested). I agree with Angie, you might find yourself wanting the kids issues for the older girls patterns that come in there. I fit in the size range and just haven't carved out time to make myself anything from them, tho there are a lot a want to make. It fits my SAHM lifestyle better than BWOF does too. But I still love BWOF and would have a hard time giving up my subscription. I think Ottobre has better instructions than BWOF too.